Dr Luciana Brondi
PhD StudentTel: 0131 650 3035
Fax: 0131 650 6909
Dr Luciana Brondi is a PhD student at the Centre for Population Health Sciences
PG Degree/Fellowship project
|Full-time or Part-time||Full-time|
- Since 2012, I teach at the Communicable Disease Control & Environmental Health module of the MPH course, mainly on Tuberculosis and HIV.
I am physician and epidemiologist. Prior to joining the university, I worked as a Senior Technical Advisor on Communicable Diseases Control both on a consultancy basis and also with the Department of Global Program Operations at JHPIEGO (affiliated to the Johns Hopkins University). My research areas include infectious diseases epidemiology and control, with a focus on respiratory infectious diseases. I am a member of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease and of the TBTEAM Expert Roster. I have done research on infectious diseases, including respiratory diseases, in Asia, Latin America, Africa and more recently in Europe.
Current Research Involvement
- Review of scientific literature on drivers and barriers of seasonal influenza vaccination coverage in the EU/EEA. Stockholm: ECDC; 2013. With the Lothian Health Board.Grant from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control(ECDC). Report published and 2 abstracts accepted in the EUPHA 2013 conference (oral presentation) and the ESCAIDE conference. Brondi L, Noori T, Nicoll A, Fisken , Gorman D, McCormick D , McCallum A.
- WHO Stop TB grant to conduct a meta analysis to estimate the risk of dying from MDRTB compared to non MDRTB in the world. (WHO, 2013-2013) Nair H, Brondi L, Campbell H. Report submitted and results included in the Annual TB World Report.
- Improving coverage measurement for MNCH: linking household survey data to assessments of service provision (Johns Hopkins University, 2013-2013) Campbell H, Nair H, Brondi L
- Rapid Assessment of Tuberculosis Transmission Risk and Infection Control Compliance in Mozambican Health Care Settings report(PI). With Jhpiego Mozambique and MOH. Report published and abstracts in the International World TB Conference in 2012. Paper to be submitted soon.
- Co-author of the SADC (Southern African Development Community) 2012 annual TB REport.
- Part of the Panel of international experts reviewing the abstracts submitted for the International Union World Conference on Lung Health and some paper submissions to the International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease.
- I provide techincal advice from time to time, especially related to TB/HIV and Infection Control Issues to the Department of Global Program Operations at JHPIEGO (affiliated to the Johns Hopkins University).
|1999-2001||Head of the Respiratory Diseases Surveillance Division, NATIONAL CENTRE FOR EPIDEMIOLOGY, MINISTRY OF HEALTH, BRAZIL|
|2002-2003||Consultancy part time, maternity|
|2004-2005||Research Assistant ICDDR,B (Bangladesh) and HIV/AIDS Care and Support consultant Family Health International, Bangladesh.|
|2003-2008||MSc Tutor(part time), Infectious Diseases Distance Learning Master's Programme, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine|
|2008-2011||Senior Infection Control, TB AND HIV technical Advoisor Mozambique. Working for JHPIEGO (affiliated to the Johns Hopkins University) and supporting the Ministry of Health in Mozambique.|
|2012-2013||Senior Technical Advisor on Communicable Diseases Control on a consultancy basis ( Jhpiego, NHS Lothian Health Board, UoE CPHS)|
Appointed to University of Edinburgh
|2013||PhD Student in Population Health Sciences(CPHS), School of Molecular, Genetic and Population Health Sciences|
|1993||Medical Degree, University of Campinas Medical School, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil|
|1997||Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training in Clinical Infectious Diseases|
|1998||MSc Communicable Diseases Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine, United Kingdom|
- Registered Medical Practitioner (Brazilian General Medical Council, 1994 and Malawian General Medical Council, 2005)
- Common childhood infections and gender inequalities: a systematic review. UNICEF, 2015 Link
- Rudan I, Brondi L and Adeloye D. Integrated Community Case Management (iCCM): Evidence Review Symposium-final meeting report Link
- Brouwer M, Coelho E, das Dores Mosse C, Brondi L, Winterton L, van Leth F. Healthcare Workers' Challenges in the Implementation of Tuberculosis Infection Prevention and Control Measures in Mozambique. PLoS one 2014. 2014;9(12):e114364.
- Brondi L, Higgins M, Noori T, Nicoll A, Fisken S,Gorman D, McCormick D , McCallum A. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC). REPORT: Review of scientific literature on drivers and barriers of seasonal influenza vaccination coverage in the EU/EEA. Stockholm: ECDC; 2013 Link
- Brondi L, Campbell H and Nair H. A meta analysis to estimate the risk of dying from MDRTB compared to non MDRTB in the world. (WHO, 2013-2013). Report submitted to WHO and results included in the Annual TB World Report 2013 Link
- Southern African Development Community. The 2012 SADC annual TB Report. Co-author