Dr Kathrin Cresswell (nee Beyer)
Research FellowTel: 0131 650 9241
Fax: (0131) 650 9119
Kathrin Cresswell is a health psychologist with an interest in safety and a background in qualitative health services research. She has been involved in several studies funded by the English Patient Safety Research Programme, the NHS Connecting for Health Evaluation Programme, and the National Institute for Health Research investigating information technology-based approaches to improve patient safety.
- Developing a UK taxonomy and framework for facilitating health policy deliberations on maximising secondary uses of healthcare data: a mixed methods study (CSO, 2013-2014) Sheikh A, Smith P, Cresswell K, Nurmatov U
- Investigating the implementation, adoption and effectiveness of ePrescribing systems in English hospitals: a mixed methods national evaluation (NIHR, 2011-2014) Sheikh A, Coleman J, Chuter A, Slee A, Avery A, Lilford R, Williams R, Schofield J, Shapiro J, Morrison Z, Cresswell K, Robertson A, Crowe S, Wu J, Zhu S, Bates D
- The Impact of eHealth on the Quality and Safety of Healthcare (NHS Connecting for Health Evaluation Programme (NHS CFHEP 001), 2008-2011) Sheikh A, McLean S, Cresswell K, Pagliari C, Pappas Y, Car J, Black A, Hemmi A, Nurmatov U, Mukherjee M, Anandan C, McKinstry B, Procter R, Majeed A
- NHS CFHEP 010: An evaluation of the effect of IT on interactions between healthcare workers and patients (NHS CFHEP, 2008-2011) Pinnock H, Sheikh A, Williams R, Cresswell K, Fernando B, Huby G, Elton R
- An evaluation of the adoption of the NHS Care Record in Secondary Care (NHS Connecting for Health Evaluation Programmes, 2008-2010) Sheikh A, Avery A, Cornford T, Jacklin A, Elliott R, Barber N, Fernando B, Cresswell K Further info
- Cresswell KM, Slee A, Coleman J, Williams R, Bates DW, et al. (2013) Qualitative Analysis of Round-Table Discussions on the Business Case and Procurement Challenges for Hospital Electronic Prescribing Systems. PLoS ONE 8(11): e79394. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0079394
- Cresswell KM, Panesar SS, Salvilla SA, Carson-Stevens A, Larizgoitia I, et al. (2013) Global Research Priorities to Better Understand the Burden of Iatrogenic Harm in Primary Care: An International Delphi Exercise. PLoS Med 10(11): e1001554. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001554 DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Coleman J, Slee A, Morrison Z, Sheikh A. A toolkit to support the implementation of electronic prescribing systems into UK hospitals: preliminary recommendations. J R Soc Med published online 9 October 2013. DOI: 10.1177/0141076813502955 DOI Link
- Morrison Z, Fernando B, Kalra D, Cresswell K, Sheikh A. National evaluation of the benefits and risks of greater structuring and coding of the electronic health record: exploratory qualitative investigation. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2013. doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2013-001666 DOI Link
- Morrison Z, Marsden K, Cresswell K, Fernando B, Sheikh A. Utilizing a Discourse-Based Understanding of Organizational Change to Explore the Introduction of National Electronic Health Records in England. Journal of Change Management 2013;13(3).
- McLean S, Sheikh A, Cresswell K, Nurmatov U, Mukherjee M, et al. (2013) The Impact of Telehealthcare on the Quality and Safety of Care: A Systematic Overview. PLoS ONE 8(8): e71238. DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Howe A, Steven A et al. Patient safety in healthcare preregistration educational curricula: multiple case study-based investigations of eight medicine, nursing, pharmacy and physiotherapy university courses. BMJ Qual Saf 2013;0:1–12. DOI Link
- Cresswell KM, Bates DW, Sheikh A. Ten key considerations for the successful implementation and adoption of large-scale health information technology. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2013; doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2013-001684. DOI Link
- Hayward J, Thomson F, Milne H, Buckingham S, Sheikh A, Fernando B, Cresswell K, Huby G, Williams R, Pinnock H. "Too much, too late": mixed methods multi-channel video recording study of computerised decision support systems and GP prescribing. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2013; doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2012-001484. DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Coleman J, Slee A, Williams R, Sheikh A, et al. Investigating and Learning Lessons from Early Experiences of Implementing ePrescribing Systems into NHS Hospitals: A Questionnaire Study. PLoS ONE 2013; 8(1): e53369. DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Sheikh A. Organizational issues in the implementation and adoption of health information technology innovations: an interpretative review. International Journal of Medical Informatics 2013;82:e73–e86. DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Majeed A, Bates D, Sheikh A. Computerised decision support systems for healthcare professionals: an interpretative review. Informatics in Primary Care 2012;20:115.
- Cresswell K, Worth A, Sheikh A. Comparative case study investigating sociotechnical processes of change in the context of a national electronic health record implementation. Health Informatics Journal 2012;18:251-270. DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Morrison Z, Kalra D, Sheikh A. "There Are Too Many, but Never Enough": Qualitative Case Study Investigating Routine Coding of Clinical Information in Depression. PLoS ONE 2012;7(8):e43831. DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Morrison Z, Crowe S, Roberston A, Sheikh A (2012). Anything but...engaged: user involvement in the context of a national electronic health record implementation. Informatics in Primary Care 19(4):191-206.
- Cresswell K, Sadler S, Rodgers S, Avery A, Cantrill J, Murray S, Sheikh A (2012). An embedded longitudinal multi-faceted qualitative evaluation of a complex cluster randomised controlled trial aiming to reduce clinically important errors in medicines management in general practice. Trials; 13:78. DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Sheikh A (2012). Effective integration of technology into health care needs adequate attention to sociotechnical processes, time and a dose of reality. Letter to the Editor of the Journal of the American Medical Association;307(21):2255-2255. DOI Link
- Thomson F, Milne H, Hayward J, Pinnock H, Cresswell K, Fernand B, Huby G, Williams R, Sheikh A (2012). Understanding the impact of information technology on interactions between patients and healthcare professionals: the INTERACT-IT study. Health Services Journal: 46-51. Link
- Kathrin M. Cresswell, Ann Robertson, Aziz Sheikh: Lessons learned from England's national electronic health record implementation: implications for the international community. IHI '12 Proceedings of the 2nd ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium: 685-690. Link
- Cresswell K, Worth A, Sheikh A. Integration of a nationally procured electronic health record system into user work practices. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2012; 12: 15 DOI Link
- Avery A, Rodgers S, Cantrill J, Armstrong S, Cresswell K, Eden M, Elliott R, Howard R, Kendrick D, Morris C, Prescott R, Swanwick G, Turner T, Sheikh A. Pharmacist-led information technology-enabled intervention for reducing medication errors: multi-centre cluster randomised controlled trial and cost-effectiveness analysis (PINCER Trial). Lancet 2012; doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61817-5 DOI Link
- Kesselheim AS, Cresswell KM, Phansalkar S, Bates DW, Sheikh A. Clinical decision support systems could be modified to reduce 'alert fatigue' while still minimizing the risk of litigation 2011; Health Affairs 2011:30(12):2310-17. DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Worth A, Sheikh A. Implementing and adopting electronic health record systems: How actor-network theory can support evaluation. Clinical Governance: An International Journal 2011; 16(4): 320-336 DOI Link
- Zachariah M, Phansalkar S, Seidling HM, Neri PM, Cresswell KM, Duke J, Bloomrosen M, Volk LA, Bates DW. Development and preliminary evidence for the validity of an instrument assessing implementation of human-factors principles in medication-related decision-support systems--I-MeDeSA. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011 Link
- Sheikh A, Cornford T, Barber N, Avery A, Takian A, Lichtner V, Petrakaki D, Crowe S, Marsden K, Robertson A, Morrison Z, Klecun E, Prescott R, Quinn C, Jani Y, Ficociello M, Voutsina K, Paton J, Fernando B, Jacklin A, Cresswell K. Implementation and adoption of nationwide electronic health records in secondary care in England: final qualitative results from a prospective national evaluation in "early adopter" hospitals. BMJ 2011;343:d6054 DOI Link
- Crowe C, Cresswell K, Robertson R, Huby G, Avery A, Sheikh A. The case study approach. BMC Research Methodology 2011; 11:100 Link
- Cresswell K, Bates D, Phansalkar S, Sheikh A. Opportunities and challenges in creating an international centralised knowledge base for clinical decision support systems (CDSS) in ePrescribing. BMJ Qual Saf 2011; doi:10.1136/bmjqs.2010.048934.
- Black AD, Car J, Pagliari C, Anandan C, Cresswell K, et al. The Impact of eHealth on the Quality and Safety of Health Care: A Systematic Overview. PLoS Med 2011; 8(1).
- Morrison Z, Robertson A, Cresswell K , Crowe S, Sheikh A. Understanding contrasting approaches to nationwide implementations of electronic health record systems: England, the USA and Australia. Journal of Healthcare Engineering. 2011; 2(1): 25-41.
- Crowe S, Cresswell K, Avery A, Slee A, Coleman J, Sheikh A. Planned implementations of ePrescribing systems in NHS hospitals in England: A questionnaire study. JRSM Short Reports 2010; 1(4): 33.
- Robertson A, Cresswell K, Takian A, Petrakaki D, Crowe S, Cornford T, Barber N, Avery A, Fernando B, Jacklin A, Prescott R, Klecun E, Paton J, Lichtner V, Quinn C, Ali M, Morrison Z, Jani Y, Waring J, Marsden K, Sheikh A. Implementation and adoption of nationwide electronic health records in secondary care in England: qualitative analysis of interim results from a prospective national evaluation. British Medical Journal 2010; 341.
- Cresswell K, Worth A, Sheikh A. Actor-Network Theory and its role in understanding the implementation of information technology developments in healthcare. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2010; 10:67 www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6947/10/67 DOI Link
- Cresswell K, Sheikh A. The NHS Care Record Service: recommendations from the literature on successful implementation and adoption. Inform Primary Care. 2009; 17: pp.153-60.
- Avery AJ, Rodgers S, Cantrill JA, Armstrong S, Elliott R, Howard R, Kendrick D, Morris CJ, Murray SA, Prescott RJ, Cresswell K, Sheikh A. Protocol for the PINCER trial: a cluster randomised trial comparing the effectiveness of a pharmacist-led IT-based intervention with simple feedback in reducing rates of clinically important errors in medicines management in general practices. Trials 2009, 10:28. Link
- Cresswell KM, Sheikh A. Lessons from the National Patient Safety Agency's National Reporting and Learning System on reducing drug allergies. Primary Care Respiratory Journal 2008; 17(1): 3-4.
- Cresswell K, Sheikh A. Information technology-based approaches to reducing repeat drug exposure in patients with known drug allergies. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 2008; 121 (5): 1112-1117.e7.
- Cresswell KM, Sheikh A. The need for a biopsychosocial "gendered" perspective on food allergy. Primary Care Respiratory Journal 2007; 16(5): 323.
- Cresswell KM, Fernando B, McKinstry B, Sheikh A(2007) Adverse drug events in the elderly. Br Med Bull, 83(1); 259-274 Link