Dr Claudia Pagliari
Senior Lecturer in Primary CareTel: 0131 650 9464
Fax: (0131) 650 9119
- Convenor, eHealth Interdisciplinary Research Group
- Academic Director, MSc in Health Informatics and MSc in Health Information Governance
- Contributes to vertical theme in Medical Informatics & Yr 1 course in Health and Society.
- Contributes to Systematic Review module of MSc in Public Health Research
- Involved in curriculum development for MScs in Health Informatics and Health Information Governance (joint programmes with Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh).
- Supervisor of interdisciplinary PhD projects in eHealth
Exploration and evaluation of eHealth interventions, including organisational and social influences on implementation and clinical and psychosocial impacts. Systematic review and policy analysis of eHealth risks and benefits. Evaluating complex interventions. Linking policy and research. Consumer and patient engagement. Therapy adherence in chronic disease.
Current Research Involvement
Working on a range of review and empirical projects in eHealth, including:
- Systematic review of the safety and quality of eHealth interventions
- Systematic review of the impact of Personal electronic Health Records
- RCT of a mobile phone based intervention for patients with uncontrolled persistent asthma
- Qualitative study of contextual influences on and perceived impacts of telemetric supported self monitoring in COPD.
- Controlled trial to assess the impact of telemetric measurement on blood pressure control.
- Ongoing analysis of the Scottish diabetes patient portal
- Analyses of critical issues for electronic health records.
- Scoping studies into public understanding of information security in relation to electronic patient data.
- Usability evaluation of online cognitive behaviour therapy (PhD studentship)
- Exploring the potential of natural language processing technology to support automated clinical question answering (PhD studentship)
- Advisory board member for Connecting for Health Evaluation Programme.
- Steering group member, Scottish Consumer Council Health Rights Information initiative..
- Contributes to policy analysis in health informatics, for the Nuffield Trust and others.
- Reviewer for multiple journals and grant awarding bodies. Editorial board member, Health Informatics Journal.
- Regional Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine, Member of Society for Academic General Practice, Member British Computer Society's Scottish Health Informatics subgroup.
- Member of Community Health Sciences Postgraduate Research Committee
- Member of Research Executive Group, GP section
- Member, Academic Board of Studies
|1992-1996||Lecturer in Psychology, Department of Life Sciences, University of Buckingham|
|1996-1998||RCPE/BUPA Research Fellow, Health Services Research Unit, University of Aberdeen|
|1999- 2003||Lecturer in Psychology, Tayside Centre for General Practice, University of Dundee|
|2003-2004||Senior Lecturer, Centre for Health Informatics, University of Dundee|
Appointed to University of Edinburgh
|2004||Senior Lecturer in Primary Care, Community Health Sciences|
|1988||BSc hons. in Psychology, 1st Class, University of Ulster|
|1998||PhD in Psychology, University of Edinburgh|
- Public Acceptability of Data-Sharing between the Public and Private Sector. (Scottish Government, 2013-2013) Davidson, S., McLean, C., Treanor, S., Aitken, M., Cunningham-Burley, S., Laurie, G., Pagliari, C. & Sethi, N. (CI Ipsos MORI)
- The Scottish Health Informatics Programme (SHIP) (Wellcome Trust, 2009-2012) Morris A, Boyle P, Ford I, Bain M, Laurie G, Pagliari C, Cunningham-Burley S, Wild S et al,
- The Impact of eHealth on the Quality and Safety of Healthcare (NHS Connecting for Health Evaluation Programme (NHS CFHEP 001), 2008-2011) Sheikh A, McLean S, Cresswell K, Pagliari C, Pappas Y, Car J, Black A, Hemmi A, Nurmatov U, Mukherjee M, Anandan C, McKinstry B, Procter R, Majeed A
- Pilot study of risks and long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning (Department of Health, 2008-2009) Miller B,Ross J, Pagliari C,Burton C (CI Institute of Occupational Medicine)
- Telemetric supported self-monitoring of long-term conditions (Chief Scientist Office: NHS Applied Research Programme Grant, 2008-2012) McKinstry B, Pinnock H, MacNee B, Sheikh A, Padfield P, Hanley J, Pagliari C, McKnight J, Wild S, Auld S, Kelly D, Sudlow C.
- A mobile phone based structured intervention to achieve asthma control in patients with uncontrolled persistent asthma: pragmatic randomised controlled trial. (Asthma UK, 2008-2009) Ryan D, Pinnock H (co-lead applicants)Tarassenko L, Pagliari C, Sheikh A, Price D (CI Aberdeen)
- Investigating the impact of IT on the quality and safety of healthcare (extension) (NHS Connecting for Health Evaluation Programme, 2008-2010) Sheikh A, Majeed A, Pagliari C, Car J
- The implementation of telemetric supported self monitoring in chronic disease management. (Intel, 2007-2008) McKinstry B, Sheikhy A, Pagliari C, Hanley J
- A mobile phone based structured intervention to achieve asthma control in patients with uncontrolled persistent asthma. (Asthma UK, 2007-2009) Ryan D, Pinnock H, Tarrasenko L, Pagliari C, Sheikh A, Prince D
- A systematic review of the impact of information technology on the quality and safety of health services. (Patient Safety Research Programme., 2006-2007) Sheikh A Majeed A, Pagliari C, Procter R, McKinstry B, Car J,
- Increasing the potential of mobile phone technology to promote better lung health. (British Lung Foundation, 2005-2006) Pinnock H, Sheikh A, Slack R, Pagliari C, Price D.
- Development & evaluation of consumer informatics tools for the Scottish national diabetes system. (Diabetes UK, 2004-2007) Pagliari C, Gregor P, Morris A, Sullivan F, Cuninghan S.
- Lee, S. H., Nurmatov, U. B., Nwaru, B. I., Mukherjee, M., Grant, L. & Pagliari, C. (2016) Effectiveness of mHealth interventions for maternal, newborn and child health in low- and middle-income countries: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Global Health 6 (1) DOI Link
- Nurmatov UB, Lee SH, Nwaru BI, Mukherjee M, Grant L, Pagliari C. The effectiveness of mHealth interventions for maternal, newborn and child health in low– and middle–income countries: Protocol for a systematic review and meta–analysis. J Glob Health. 2014 Jun;4(1):010407 DOI Link Link
- McLean S, Sheikh A, Cresswell K, Nurmatov U, Mukherjee M, Hemmi A, Pagliari C. The impact of telehealthcare on the quality and safety of care: a systematic overview. PLoS ONE 2013;8(8): e71238 DOI Link
- Pinnock H, Hanley J, McCloughan L, Todd A, Krishan A, Lewis S, Stoddart A, van der Pol M, MacNee W, Sheikh A, Pagliari C, McKinstry B. Effectiveness of telemonitoring integrated into existing clinical services on hospital admission for exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: researcher blind, multicentre, randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2013;347:f6070
- Stoddart A, Hanley J, Wild S, Pagliari C, Paterson M, Lewis S, Sheikh A, Krishan A, Padfield P, McKinstry B. Telemonitoring-based service redesign for the management of difficult-to-control hypertension (HITS): A cost and cost-effectiveness analysis. BMJ Open 2013;3:e002681
- McKinstry B, Hanley J, Wild S, Pagliari C, Paterson M, Lewis S, Sheikh A, Krishan A, Stoddart A, Padfield P. Telemonitoring-based service redesign for the management of difficult-to-control hypertension (HITS): a multi-centre randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2013;346:f3030
- Ryan D, Price D, Musgrave S, Malhotra S, Lee A, Ayansina D.Sheikh A,Tarassenko L, Pagliari C, Pinnock, H. (2012). Clinical and cost effectiveness of mobile phone supported self monitoring of asthma: multicentre randomised controlled trial. BMj, 344, e1756 DOI Link
- Ryan D, Price D, Musgrave S, Malhotra S, Lee AJ, Ayansina D, Sheikh A, Tarassenko L, Pagliari C, Pinnock H. Clinical and cost effectiveness of mobile phone supported self-monitoring of asthma: a multi-centre randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2012; 344:e1756 DOI Link
- Fairbrother P, Pinnock H, Janet Hanley J, McCloughan L, Sheikh A, Pagliari C, McKinstry B, on behalf of the TELESCOT programme group. Continuity, but at what cost? The impact of telemonitoring COPD on continuities of care: a qualitative study. Prim Care Respir J 2012;21: 322-328 DOI Link
- McLean S, Nurmatov U,Liu JLY, Pagliari C, Car J, Sheikh A. Telehealthcare for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis. BJGP 2012;62(604):576-577
- Ure J, Hanley J, Pinnock H, Kidd G, McCall Smith E, Tarling A, Pagliari C, Sheikh A, MacNee W, McKinstry B. Piloting tele-monitoring in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: a mixed methods exploration of issues in design and implementation. Prim Care Respir J 2011;21:57-64 DOI Link
- Ure J, Irshad T, Hanley J, Whyte A, Pagliari C, Pinnock H, McKinstry B. Curating Complex, Dynamic and Distributed Data: Telehealth as a Laboratory for Strategy. International Journal of Digital Curation 2011; 6: 128-145 DOI Link
- McLean S, Chandler D, Nurmatov U, Liu J, Pagliari C, Car J, Sheikh A. Telehealthcare for asthma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2011. DOI Link
- McLean S, Chandler D, Nurmatov U, Liu J, Pagliari C, Car J, Sheikh A. Telehealthcare for asthma. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD007717. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007717.pub2 DOI Link
- Greene A, Pagliari C, Cunningham S, Donnan P, Evans J, Emslie-Smith A, Morris A, Guthrie B (2009) Do managed clinical networks improve quality of diabetes care? Evidence from a retrospective mixed methods evaluation. Quality and Safety in Health Care 18:456-461 Link
- Gagnon M-P, Legare F, Labrecque M, Fremont P, Pluye P, Gagnon J, Car J, Pagliari C, Desmartis M, Turcot L, Gravel K. (2009) Interventions for promoting information and communication technologies adoption in healthcare professionals. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD006093 Link
- Singleton P, Pagliari C, Detmer D (2009) Critical Issues for Electronic Health Records. London: The Nuffield Trust Link
- Pagliari C, Detmer D, Singleton P. (2009) So there are problems with NPfIT. Time for a reality check? BMJ;338:b643 Link
- Car J, Black A, Anandan C, Cresswell K, Pagliari C, McKinstry B, Procter R, Majeed A, Sheikh A. (2008) The Impact of eHealth on the Quality & Safety of Healthcare: A systematic overview & synthesis of the literature. Birmingham. NHS Connecting for Health Evaluation Programme. Link
- Franklin V, Greene A, Waller A, Greene S, Pagliari C (2008) Patients' engagement with 'Sweet Talk' - A text-messaging support system for young people with diabetes. Journal of Medical Internet Research 10 (2). Link
- Evans, JMM, Guthrie B, Pagliari C, Greene A, Morris AD, Cunningham S, Donnan PT. (2008) Do general practice characteristics influence uptake of an information technology (IT) innovation in primary care? Informatics in Primary Care 16(1):3-8 Link
- Pagliari C (2007) Pragmatism is required if the benefits of EHR are to be realised. BMJ 2007; 335: 158 Link
- Pagliari C, Detmer D, Singleton P. (2007) Potential of Electronic Personal Health Records. BMJ 335: 330-333. Link
- Pinnock H, Slack R, Pagliari C, Price D, Sheikh A (2007) Understanding the potential role of mobile phone-based monitoring on asthma self-management: qualitative study. Clinical and Experimental Allergy, 37, 794-802 Link
- Pagliari C, Detmer D, Singleton P (2007). Electronic Personal Health Records - Emergence and implications for the UK. London: Nuffield Trust Link
- Pagliari C. (2007) Design and Evaluation in eHealth: Challenges and Implications for an Interdisciplinary Field. Journal of Medical Internet Research 9(2):e15) Link
- Pinnock H, Slack R, Pagliari C, Price D, Sheikh A. Professional and patient attitudes to using mobile phone technology to monitor asthma: questionnaire survey. Prim Care Respir J. 2006; 15: 237-245 Link
- Waller A, Franklin V, Pagliari C, Greene S. (2006) Participatory Design of a Text Message Scheduling System to Support Young People with Diabetes. Health Informatics Journal Dec;12(4):304-18 Link
- Franklin V, Waller A, Pagliari C, Greene S (2006) Randomised Controlled Trial of 'Sweet Talk', A Text-Messaging System to Support Young People with Diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 23, 1332-8 Link
- McGreavey JA, Donnan PT, Pagliari HC, Sullivan FM (2005) The Tayside children's sleep questionnaire: a simple tool to evaluate sleep problems in young children. Child Care Health Dev. Sep;31(5):539-44. Link
- Franklin VL, Waller A, Pagliari C, Greene SA (2005): 'Sweet Talk': Text Messaging to support intensive insulin therapy. Archives of Diseases in Childhood 90:A3
- Pagliari C, Donnan P, Morrison J, Ricketts I, Gregor P, Sullivan F (2005) Adoption and perception of electronic clinical communications in Scotland. Informatics in Primary Care. 13 (2) Link
- Pagliari C. (2005) Implementing the National Programme for IT: What can we learn from the Scottish experience? Informatics in Primary Care. 13 (2) Link
- Pagliari C, Gregor P, McGillivray S, Sloan D, Sullivan F, Detmer D, Kahan J, Oortwijn W. (2005) Literature review and conceptual map of the area of E-health. NHS Service Development and Organisation Programme (e-pub). Link
- Williams B, Shaw A, Durrant R, Crinson I, Pagliari C, deLusignan S. (2005) Patient perspectives on multiple medications versus combined pills: a qualitative study. Quarterly Journal of Medicine Dec;98(12):885-93 Link
- Pagliari C, Sloan D, Gregor P, Sullivan F, Kahan J, Detmer D, Oortwijn W, MacGillivray S. (2005) What is eHealth (4): a scoping exercise to map the field. Journal of Medical Internet Research 7(1):e9 Link
- Neville RG, Marsden W, McCowan C, Pagliari C, Mullen H, Fannin A. Email consultations in general practice. Informatics in Primary Care 2004 12 207-14
- Neville RG, Marsden W, McCowan C, Pagliari HC, Mullen H, Fannin A. E-mail consultations in general practice. BJGP 2004 54 546. Link
- Dowell J, Pagliari C, McAleer S (2004) Development and evaluation of a concordance training course for medical practitioners. Med Teach. Jun;26(4):384-6 Link
- Neville RG, Marsden W, McCowan C, Pagliari C, Mullen H, Fannin A (2004) Email consultations in general practice. Informatics in Primary Care, 12 (4), 207-14. Link
- Neville RG, Marsden W, McCowan C, Pagliari C, Mullen H, Fannin A (2004) A survey of GP attitudes to and experiences of email consultations. Informatics in Primary Care, 12 (4), 201-5. Link
- Fleming SL, Pagliari C, Churchill R, Shuldham CM, McKean M (2004) Psychotherapeutic interventions for adults with asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(1):CD002982. Link
- Pagliari C, Gilmour M, Sullivan F (2004) Electronic clinical communications implementation (ECCI) in Scotland: a mixed-methods programme evaluation. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 10(1), 11-20. Link
- Pagliari C, Hunter K, Boyle D, Cunningham S, Clark D, Morris A. (2003) Implementing a Web-Based Information System to Support a Managed Clinical Network for Diabetes in Tayside. Diabetes and Primary Care, 5 (1), 34-40 Link
- Pagliari C, Clark D, Hunter K, Boyle D, Cunningham S, Morris A, Sullivan F. (2003) DARTS 2000 On-line Diabetes Management System: Formative Evaluation in Clinical Practice. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 9 (4) 391 - 400. Link
- Franklin V, Waller A, Pagliari C, Greene S (2003) "Sweet Talk": Text Messaging Support for Intensive Insulin Therapy for Young People with Diabetes. Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics 5(6) 991-6. Link
- Cunningham SG, Boyle DIR, McAlpine R, Hunter K, Pagliari C, Gregor P, Napier L, Morris AD, Robertson K (2002) Evaluation of a Population-based, Web-based Diabetes Information System. Diabetologia, 45, supp 2, 997.
- Pagliari HC, Kahan J (2002) La Investigación Sobre Barreras Y Facilitadores Para La Implementación: Una Revisión Codificada De Estudios. In Thorsen T & Makela M (eds.) Cambiar la práctica de los professionals. Teoría y práctica de la implementación de las Guías de Práctica Clínica. Consejeria de Salud. Agencia de Evaluación de Tecnologías Sanitarias de Andalucía.
- Sullivan FM, Pagliari C, Mitchell ED (2002) Health Informatics. London. Royal College of General Practitioners. Link
- Pagliari C, Grimshaw J. (2002) Impact of group structure and process on multidisciplinary evidence-based guideline development: an observational study. J Eval Clin Pract. May;8(2):145-53. Link
- Davey P, Pagliari C, Hayes A (2002) The patient's role in the spread and control of bacterial resistance to antibiotics. Clin Microbiol Infect. 8 Suppl 2:43-68. Link
- Shuldham C, Churchill R, Fleming S, Pagliari HC. (2001) Psychotherapy for Adults with Asthma: Review protocol. In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 2. Oxford: Update Software.
- Pagliari C, Grimshaw JM, Eccles M. (2001) The Potential Influence of Small Group Processes on Guideline Development. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 7, 2, 165-173. Link
- Pagliari HC & Kahan JP (1999) Researching Perceived Barriers and Facilitators to Implementation: A Coded Review. In Thorsen T & Makela M (eds.) Changing Professional Practice: Theory and Practice of Clinical Guidelines Implementation. Denmark: Danish Institute for Health Services Research & Development.
- Pagliari HC & Kahan JP (1999) Changing Professional Practice in Health Care: An Annotated Bibliography of Studies of Perceptions in Guideline Implementation. Netherlands: RAND Europe. Link