Professor Gordon Murray
Professor of Medical StatisticsTel: 0131 650 3233
Fax: (0131) 650 3224
Promoting the role of medical statistics through teaching, research, administration and consultancy.
- Joint organiser for Year 2 Epidemiology and Statistics course for medical class
- Contribute to intercalated BSc classes
- Joint module leader for Clinical Trials
- Module leader for Advance Statistics: Survival and Categorical Data
- Supervise PhD and MSc projects
- Medical statistics
- Clinical trials, especially in neurosurgery, neurology and mental health
- Ordinal regression techniques
- Research integrity
Current Research Involvement
- IMPACT - US-NIH funded project to optimise the design and analysis of clinical trials in traumatic brain injury. (CI Andrew Maas, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam)
- SMaRT - CR-UK funded programme to develop and evaluate nurse-delivered interventions to treat depression in patients with cancer (CI Michael Sharpe)
- AAA - BHF/CSO funded clinical trial of aspirin versus placebo for asymptomatic subjects with an abnormal ankle brachial pressure index (CI Gerry Fowkes)
- AAA Cognitive Study - Wellcome Trust funded add on study to AAA to evaluate the effect of Aspirin in slowing cognitive decline (CI Jackie Price)
- PODOSA - A cluster-randomised trial of a family-based intervention to reduce the risk of diabetes in South Asian populations (CI Raj Bhopal)
- EBIC - The European Brain Injury Consortium - a body which is co-ordinating numerous clinical trials and epidemiological studies relating to head injury
- Chairman of Edinburgh Clinical Trials
- Vice-Chairman and Treasurer of the European Brain Injury Consortium
- Member of the Health Services and Public Health Research Board of the Medical Research Council
- Member of the Interventional Procedures Advisory Committee of the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence
- Board members for the UK Panel for Research Integrity in Health and Biomedical Sciences
- Chairman of the Leukaemia Data Monitoring and Ethics Committee
- Member of numerous trial steering committees and data monitoring committees
Appointed to University of Edinburgh
|1996||Professor of Medical Statistics, Public Health Sciences|
- Predicting foot ulceration in people with diabetes:An analysis of Individual Patient Data (National Institute of Health Research (NIHR), 2012-2014) Crawford F, Chappell F, Murray G, Price J, Sheikh A, Simpson C, Stansby G, Young M. (CI Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
- European study of therapeutic hypothermia (32-35°C) for intracranial pressure reduction after traumatic brain injury (Eurotherm3235 Trial) (National Institute for Health Research, HTA, 2011-2014) Andrews P, Murray G, Harris B, Forbes JF, Patel H, Owen Moseley O
- Practical methods for ordinal data meta-analysis in stroke. (MRC, 2010-2012) Lewis S, Murray G, Sandercock P
- Edinburgh Trials Methodology Hub (MRC, 2009-2013) Murray G, Lewis S, Sandercock P, Ralston S, Sheikh A, et al
- Systematic review of head cooling in adults after traumatic brain injury or stroke. (National Institute for Health Research, 2009-2011) Harris B, Andrews P, Murray G, Forbes J
- Edinburgh Clinical Trials Methodology Hub (Medical Research Council, 2008-2013) Murray G, Sheikh A, Sharpe M
- Long term (5 year) clinical follow up and MRI imaging of the REST Trial cohort. (Scottish Executive, Chief Scientist Office, 2007-2009) Moss JG, Lumsden MA, Murray GD, Edwards RD, Cooper K, Wu O (CI Dept of Radiology, North Glasgow University Hospitals, Gartnavel General Hospital)
- Clinical trial design and analysis in traumatic brain injury. US National Institutes of Health. (Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 2007-2010) Maas AIR, Murray GD, Marmarou A, Steyerberg E
- The Edinburgh SMaRT oncology programme. (Programme Grant, 2006-2011) Sharpe M, Murray G, Weller D
- Does the institutionalisation of pain assessment using the EPAT package reduce pain in cancer unit inpatients more than usual care: a cluster randomised study? (CR-UK, 2006-2009) Fallon M, Colvin L, Sharpe M, Murray GD
- A family based intervention for primary prevention of type 2 Diabetes in South Asians: cluster randomised phase iii trial with economic analysis. (National Prevention Research Initiative, 2006-2011) Bhopal R, Sheikh A, Wild S, McKnight J, Wallia S, Lean M, Murray G, Forbes J, Lawton J Further info
- Randomised controlled trial of aspirin in the reduction of age-associated cognitive decline. (Wellcome Trust, 2000-2008) Price J, Fowkes FGR, Murray G, Deary I, Sandercock P
- Randomised controlled trial of low dose aspirin in the prevention of cardiovascular events and death in subjects with asymptomatic atherosclerosis. (BHF, CSO, Bayer plc, 1997-2010) Fowkes FGR, Price JF, Lowe GDO, Murray GD
- Crawford F, Anandan C, Chappell FM, Murray GD, Price FJ, Sheikh A, Simpson CR, Maxwell M, Stansby GP, Young MJ, Abbott CA, Boulton AJM, Boyko EJ, Kastenbauer T, Leese GP, Monami M, Monteiro-Soares M, Rith-Najarian SJ, Veves A, Coates N, Jeffcoate WJ, Leech N, Fahey T, Tierney J. Protocol for a systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis of prognostic factors of foot ulceration in people with diabetes: the international research collaboration for the prediction of diabetic foot ulcerations (PODUS). BMC Medical Research Methodology 2013; 13:22 DOI Link Link
- Marioni RE, Deary IJ, Murray GD, Lowe GDO, Strachan MWJ, Luciano M, Houlihan LM, Gow AJ, Harris SE, Rumley A, Stewart MC, Fowkes FGR, Price JF. Genetic associations between fibrinogen and cognitive performance in three Scottish cohorts. Behavior Genetics 2011; 41: 691-9
- Fowkes FGR*, Price JF*, Stewart MCW, Butcher I, Leng GC, Pell ACH, Sandercock PAG, Fox KAA, Lowe GDO, Murray GD for the AAA Trialists. Aspirin for prevention of cardiovascular events in a general population screened for a low ankle brachial index. JAMA 2010; 303: 841-8 (*joint first authors)
- Bolton JL, Marioni RE, Deary IJ, Harris SE, Stewart MC, Murray GD, Fowkes FGR, Price JF. Association between Polymorphisms of the dopamine receptor D2 and catechol-o-methyl transferase genes and cognitive function. Behavior Genetics 2010; 40: 630-8
- Marioni, RE, Deary IJ, Murray GD, Fowkes FGR, Price JF. Associations between polymorphisms in five inflammation-related genes and cognitive ability in an elderly population. Genes Brain Behav 2010; 9: 348-52
- Marioni RE, Lowe GDO, Rumley A, Murray GD, Deary IJ, Strachan MWJ, Price JF, on behalf of the ET2DS investigators. Blood rheology and cognition in the Edinburgh Type 2 Diabetes Study. Age Aging 2010; 39: 354-9
- Marioni RE, Strachan MWJ, Reynolds RM, Deary IJ, Lowe GDO, Rumley A, Fowkes FGR, Frier BM, Lee AJ, Murray GD, Price JF. Association between raised inflammatory markers and cognitive decline in elderly people with type 2 diabetes: the Edinburgh Type 2 Diabetes Study. Diabetes 2010 Mar; 59(3): 710-3
- Marioni RE, Deary IJ, Murray GD, Lowe GDO, Rafnsson SB, Strachan MWJ, Luciano M, Houlihan LM, Gow AJ, Harris SE, Stewart MC, Rumley A, Fowkes FGR, Price JF. Genetic variants associated with altered plasma levels of C-reactive protein are not associated with late-life cognitive ability in four Scottish samples. Behavior Genetics 2010; 40: 3-11
- McGorm K, Burton C, Weller D, Murray G, Sharpe M. Patients repeatedly referred to secondary care with symptoms unexplained by organic disease: prevalence, characteristics and referral pattern. Fam Pract 2010; 27(5): 479-486. DOI Link
- McHugh GS, Butcher I, Steyerberg EW, Marmarou A, Lu J, Lingsma HF, Weir J, Maas AIR, Murray GD (2010) A simulation study evaluating approaches to the analysis of ordinal outcome data in randomized controlled trials in traumatic brain injury: results from the IMPACT Project. Clinical Trials 7: 44-57
- Maas AIR, Steyerberg EW, Marmarou A, McHugh GS, Lingsma HF, Butcher I, Lu J, Weir J, Roozenbeek B, Murray GD (2010) IMPACT Recommendations for Improving the Design and Analysis of Clinical Trials in Moderate to Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Neurotherapeutics: The Journal of the American Society for Experimental NeuroTherapeutics 7(1):127-134
- Marioni RE, Stewart MC, Murray GD, Deary IJ, Fowkes FGR, Lowe GDO, Rumley A, Price JF. Peripheral levels of fibrinogen, C-reactive protein, and plasma viscosity predict future cognitive decline in non-demented individuals. Psychosom Med 2009; 71: 901-6
- Bates TC, Price JF, Harris SE, Marioni RE, Fowkes FGR, Stewart MC, Murray GD, Whalley LJ, Starr JM, Deary IJ. Association of KIBRA and memory. Neuroscience Letters 2009; 458(3): 140-3
- Deary IJ, Gale C, Stewart MC, Fowkes FGR, Murray GD, Batty D, Price JF. Intelligence and persisting with medication for two years: analysis in a randomised controlled trial. Intelligence. 2009 Nov; 37(6): 607-612
- Roozenbeek B, Maas AIR, Lingsma HF, Butcher I, Lu J, Marmarou A, McHugh GS, Weir J, Murray GD, Steyerberg EW. Baseline characteristics and statistical power in randomized controlled trials : selection, prognostic targeting, or covariate adjustment. Critical Care Medicine 2009; 37: 2683-2690 DOI Link
- Hodges L, Butcher I, Kleiboer A, McHugh GS, Murray GD, Walker J, Wilson R, Sharpe M (2009) Patient and general practitioner preferences for the treatment of depression in patients with cancer: How, who, and where? Journal of Psychosomatic Research 67 399-402
- Roozenbeek B, Maas AIR, Marmarou A, Butcher I, Lingsma HF, Lu J, McHugh GS, Murray GD, Steyerberg EW (2009) The influence of enrollment criteria on recruitment and outcome distribution in traumatic brain injury studies: results from the impact study. Journal of Neurotrauma 26(7):1069-75
- Price JF, Stewart M, Douglas A, Murray GD, Fowkes FGR. Frequency of a low ankle brachial index in the general population by age, sex and deprivation: cross-sectional survey of 28,980 men and women. Europ J Cardiovasc Prevent Rehab 2008; 15(3): 370-375
- Price JF, Stewart MC, Deary IJ, Murray GD, Sandercock P, Butcher I, Fowkes FGR, on behalf of the AAA Trialists (2008) Randomised controlled trial of low dose aspirin and cognitive function in middle aged to elderly adults. BMJ, 337:a1198
- Steyerberg EW, Mushkudiani N, Perel P, Butcher I, Lu J, McHugh GS, Murray GD, Marmarou A, Roberts I, Habbema JDF, Maas AIR (2008) Predicting outcome after traumatic brain injury: development and international validation of prognostic scores based on admission characteristics. PLoS Medicine 5(8):e165.doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0050165
- Hernández AV, Steyerberg EW, Butcher I, Mushkudiani N, Taylor GS, Murray GD, Marmarou A, Choi SC, Lu J, Habbema JDF, Maas AIR. (2006) Adjustment for Strong Predictors of Outcome in Traumatic Brain Injury Trials: 25% Reduction in Sample Size Requirements in the IMPACT Study. Journal Of Neurotrauma 23(9):
- Heald C, Fowkes FGR, Murray G, Price JF on behalf of the International ABI Collaboration. The ankle brachial pressure index as an indicator of mortality and cardiovascular disease: systematic review. Atherosclerosis 2006; 189: 61-9.
- Maas AI, Murray G, Henney H, III, Kassem N, Legrand V, Mangelus M et al. Efficacy and safety of dexanabinol in severe traumatic brain injury: results of a phase III randomised, placebo-controlled, clinical trial. Lancet Neurol. 2006;5:38-45
- Fearon KC, Barber MD, Moses AG, Ahmedzai SH, Taylor GS, Tisdale MJ, Murray GD. A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised study of eicosapentaenoic acid diester in patients with cancer cachexia. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2006; 24(21): 3401-3407
- Tzoulaki I, Murray GD, Lowe GDO, Rumley A, Price JF, Lee AJ, Smith FB, Fowkes FGR. Haemostatic factors, inflammatory markers and progressive peripheral atherosclerosis: Edinburgh Artery Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 2006 ; 163: 334-341
- Andrews PJD, Harris B, Murray GD. Randomized controlled trial of effects of the airflow through the upper respiratory tract of intubated brain-injured patients on brain temperature and selective brain cooling. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2005; 94: 330-335.
- The FOOD Trial Collaboration. Effect of timing and method of enteral tube feeding for dysphagic stroke patients (FOOD): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 365: 764-772.
- The FOOD Trial Collaboration. Routine oral nutritional supplementation for stroke patients in hospital (FOOD): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 365: 755-763.
- Teasdale GM, Wardlaw JM, White PM, Murray G, Teasdale EM, Easton V on behalf of the Davie Cooper Scottish Aneurysm Study Group. Brain 2005; 128: 1677-1685.
- Molyneux AJ, Kerr RS, Yu LM, Clarke M, Sneade M, Yarnold JA et al. International subarachnoid aneurysm trial (ISAT) of neurosurgical clipping versus endovascular coiling in 2143 patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a randomised comparison of effects on survival, dependency, seizures, rebleeding, subgroups, and aneurysm occlusion. Lancet 2005;366:809-17.
- Marson A, Jacoby A, Johnson A, Kim L, Gamble C, Chadwick D on behalf of the Medical Research Council MESS Study Group. Immediate versus deferred antiepileptic drug treatment for early epilepsy and single seizures: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 365: 2007-2013.
- Dormandy JA, Charbonnel B, Eckland DJ, Erdmann E, Massi-Benedetti M, Moules IK et al. Secondary prevention of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes in the PROactive Study (PROspective pioglitAzone Clinical Trial In macroVascular Events): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005;366: 1279-89.
- Mendelow AD, Gregson BA, Fernandes HM, Murray GD, Teasdale GM, Hope DT, Karimi A, Shaw MDM, Barer DH on behalf of the STICH investigators. Early surgery versus initial conservative treatment in patients with spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral haematomas in the International Surgical Trial in Intracerbral Haemorrhage (STICH): a randomised trial. Lancet 2005; 365: 387-397
- Dormandy JA, Charbonnel B, Eckland DJA, Erdmann E, Massi-Benedetti M, Moules IK, Skene AM, Tan MH, Lefebvre PJ, Murray GD, Standl E, Wilcox RG, Wilhelmsen L, Betteridge J, Birkeland K, Golay A, Heine RJ, Koranyi L, Laakso M, Mokan M, Norkus A, Pirags V, Podar T, Scheen A, Scherbaum W, Schernthaner G, Schmitz O, Skrha J, Smith U, Taton J, on behalf of the PROactive investigators. Secondary prevention of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes in the PROactive Study (PROspective pioglitAzone Clinical Trial In macroVascular Events): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 366(9493): 1279-89
- Hernández AV, Steyerberg EW, Taylor GS, Marmarou A, Habbema JDF, Maas AIR. Subgroup analysis and covariate adjustment in randomized clinical trials of traumatic brain injury: A systematic review. Neurosurgery 2005; 57(6): 1244-1253
- Mendelow AD, Gregson BA, Fernandes HM, Murray GD, Teasdale GM, Hope DT, Kamiri A, Shaw MDM, Barer DH for the STICH investigators. Early surgery versus initial conservative treatment in patients with spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral haematomas in the International Surgical Trial in Intracerebral Haemorrhage (STICH): a randomised trial. Lancet 2005; 365: 387-397.
- Langhorne P, Taylor G, Murray G, Dennis M, Anderson C, et al. Early supported discharge services for stroke patients: a meta-analysis of individual patients' data. Lancet 2005;365: 501-506
- Murray GD, Barer D, Choi S, Fernandes H, Gregson B, Lees KR, Maas AIR, Marmarou A, Mendelow AD, Steyerberg EW, Taylor GS, Teasdale GM, Weir CJ. Design and analysis of Phase III trials with ordered outcome scales - the concept of the sliding dichotomy. Journal of Neurotrauma 2005;22, 511-517
- Tzoulaki I, Murray GD, Lee AJ, Rumley A, Lowe GDO, Fowkes FGR. C-reactive protein, interleukin-6 and soluble adhesion molecules as predictors of progressive peripheral atherosclerosis in the general population: Edinburgh Artery Study. Circulation 2005;112: 976-83
- Muir KW, Lees KR, Ford I, Davis S. Magnesium for acute stroke (Intravenous Magnesium Efficacy in Stroke trial): randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2004; 363: 439-445.
- Maas AI, Marmarou A, Murray GD, Steyerberg EW. Clinical trials in traumatic brain injury: current problems and future solutions. Acta Neurochirurgica [Suppl] 2004; 89: 113-8.
- Bellenger NG, Rajappan K, Rahman SL, Lahiri A, Raval U, Webster J et al. Effects of carvedilol on left ventricular remodelling in chronic stable heart failure: a cardiovascular magnetic resonance study. Heart 2004; 90: 760-4.
- Warner P, Critchley HOD, Lumsden MA, Campbell-Brown M, Douglas A and Murray GD. Menorrhagia II: Is the 80mL blood loss criterion useful in managing complaint of menorrhagia?. AJOG 2004;190: 1224-1229
- Warner P, Critchley HOD, Lumsden MA, Campbell-Brown M, Douglas A and Murray GD. Menorrhagia I: Measured blood loss, clinical features and outcome in women with heavy periods: a survey with follow-up AJOG 2004;190: 1216-1223
- The EURopean trial On reduction of cardiac events with Perindopril in stable coronary Artery disease Investigators. Efficacy of perindopril in reduction of cardiovascular events among patients with stable coronary artery disease; randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial (the EUROPA study). Lancet 2003; 362: 782-788.
- Millar K, Nicoll JAR, Thornhill S, Murray GD, Teasdale GM. Long term neuropsychological outcome after head injury: relation to APOE genotype. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2003; 74: 1047-1052.
- Mendelow AD, Teasdale GM, Barer D, Fernandes HM, Murray GD, Gregson BA. Clinical Science Concept Outcome assignment in the international surgical trial of intracerebral haemorrhage. Acta Neurochirurgica 2003; 145: 679-681.
- Lendon CL, Harris JM, Pritchard AL, Nicoll JA, Teasdale GM, Murray G. Genetic variation of the APOE promoter and outcome after head injury. Neurology 2003; 61: 683-685.
- Gregson BA, Mendelow AD. International variations in surgical practice for spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke 2003; 34: 2593-7.
- Counsel C, Dennis MS, Lewis S, Warlow C. Performance of a statistical model to predict stroke outcome in the context of a large, simple, randomized, controlled trial of feeding. Stroke 2003; 34: 127-33.
- Cleland JGF, Pennell DJ, Ray SG, Coats AJ, Macfarlane PW, Murray GD, Dalle Mule J, Vered Z, Lahiri A. Myocardial viability as a determinant of the ejection fraction response to carvedilol in patients with heart failure (CHRISTMAS trial): randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2003;362: 14-21
- Wilkinson AG, Sherlock DA, Murray GD. The efficacy of the Pavlik harness, the Craig splint and the von Rosen splint in the management of neonatal dysplasia of the hip. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 2002; 84-B: 716-9.
- Spiegelhalter DJ, Aylin P, Best N, Evans SJW, Murray GD. Commissioned analysis of surgical performance by using routine data: lessons from the Bristol inquiry. Journal Royal Statistical Society A 2002; 165: 1-33.
- Servadei F, Murray GD, Teasdale GM, Dearden M, Iannotti F, Lapierre F et al. Traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage: demographic and clinical study of 750 patients from the European Brain Injury Consortium survey of head injuries. Neurosurgery 2002; 50: 261-9.
- Reid M, Glazener C, Murray GD, Taylor GS. A two-centred pragmatic randomised controlled trial of two interventions of postnatal support. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2002; 109: 1164-70.
- Purushotham AD, McLatchie E, Young D, George WD, Stallard S, Doughty J et al. Randomized clinical trial of no wound drains and early discharge in the treatment of women with breast cancer. British Journal of Surgery 2002; 89: 286-92.
- O'Donnell CA, Fullarton GM, Watt E, Lennon K, Murray GD, Moss JG. Randomized clinical trial comparing self-expanding metallic stents with plastic endoprostheses in the palliation of oesophageal cancer. British Journal of Surgery 2002; 89: 9859-92.
- International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) Collaborative Group. International Subarachnoid Aneuyrism Trial (ISAT) of neurosurgical clipping versus endovascular coiling in 2143 patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms; a randomised trial. Lancet 2002; 360: 1267-74.
- International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) Collaborative Group (Murray GD). International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) of neurosurgical clipping versus endovascular coiling in 2143 patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms; a randomised trial. Lancet 2002;360: 1267-74
- Spiegelhalter DJ, Aylin P, Best NG, Evans SJW, Murray GD. Commissioned analysis of surgical performance by using routine data: lessons from the Bristol Inquiry. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A 2002;165: 191-231
- Stocchetti N, Penny KI, Dearden M, Braakman R, Cohadon F, Iannotti F et al. Intensive care management of head-injured patients in Europe: a survey from the European Brain Injury Consortium. Intensive Care Medicine 2001;27:400-6.
- Sharp JCM, Murray GD, Macleod DAD. A unique insight into the incidence of rugby injuries using referee replacement reports. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2001;35:34-7.
- Sarhadi NS, Reid WH, Murray GD, Williamson J. Flame burn admissions and fire fatalities in Scotland with particular reference to Strathclyde (Glasgow) region, and their prevention. Burns 2001;27:731-8.
- Murray GD. Essential Statistics. In Schein M, Farndon JR, Fingerhut A, eds. A Surgeon's Guide to Writing and Publishing, pp 95-106. London: TFM Publishing Ltd 2001.
- Millar K, Asbury AJ, Murray GD. Pre-existing cognitive impairment as a factor influencing outcome after cardiac surgery. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2001;86:63-7.
- Aylin P, Alves B, Best N, Cook A, Elliot P, Evans SJW et al. Comparison of UK paediatric cardiac surgical performance by analysis of routinely collected data 1984-96: was Bristol an outlier? Lancet 2001; 358: 181-7.
- Warner P, Critchley HOD, Lumsden MA, Douglas A, Campbell-Brown M, Murray, GD. Referral for menstrual problems: cross-sectional survey of symptoms, reasons for referral, and management BMJ 2001;323: 24-28
- Medical Complications After Stroke - A Multicentre Study. Langhorne P, Stott DJ, Robertson L, MacDonald J, Jones L, McAlpine C, Dick F, Taylor GS, Murray G. Stroke 2000; 31: 1223-1229
- Bradshaw N. Brewer C. FitzPatrick D. Murray G. Rodgers F. Porteous M. Campbell H. Guidelines and care pathways for genetic diseases: the Scottish collaborative project on tuberous sclerosis Eur J Hum Genet 1999, 6:445-58