Dr Colin Fischbacher
Consultant in Public Health MedicineTel: 0131 275 7063
Fax: (0131) 275 7514
- Identifying the true cost of asthma in the UK: secondary analyses of national stand-alone and linked databases in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales (Asthma UK, 2013-2014) Sheikh A, Phillips C, Strachan D, Davies G, Simpson C, Shields M, Lyons R, Fischbacher C
- Scottish health and ethnicity linkage study (SHELS): examining inequalities in all-mortality, all-hospitalisation, infectious and parasitic diseases, injury and poisoning, and bowel screening. (CSO, 2013-2016) Bhopal R, Pearce J,Fischbacher C, Povey C, Sheikh A, Simpson C, Hutchinson S, Gruer L, Campbell C, Buchanan D.
- Enhancing the Scottish Health and Ethnicity Linkage Study (SHELS) by adding respiratory and gastrointestinal mortality/morbidity data and assessing the value of linking primary care risk factor data (CSO, 2011-2012) Bhopal R, Fischbacher C, Sheikh A, Povey C, Pearce J, Buchanan D
- Understanding The Impact Of Diabetes In Scotland: A project to support Scottish diabetes register data linkage. (Scottish Government Health Department, 2008-2010) Wild SH, Lindsay R, Cunningham S, Emslie-Smith A, Fischbacher C, McAlpine R, McGilchrist M, McKnight J, Morris A, Pearson D, Petrie J, Waugh N.
- Development and validation of an algorithm to predict emergency hospital admissions in Scotland. (Chief Scientist Office, 2006-2007) Donnan P, Guthrie B, Fischbacher C, Simpson C, Tilley, CJ, Sutton MA, Morrison JM (CI University of Dundee)
- Extracting information on the health of ethnic minorities from routine health data in Scotland: a case study of the development of cardiovascular disease profile. (Scottish Executive, 2002-2005) Fischbacher C, Bhopal R et al (CI ISD Scotland)
- Morling JR, Fischbacher C, Agur W, Glazener CMA, Guerero K, Wood W. Effect of procedure type and use of mesh on complications after surgery for pelvic organ prolapse: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2015; 386(S56). DOI Link
- Fischbacher CM, Cezard G, Bhopal RS, Pearce J, Bansal N. Measures of socioeconomic position are not consistently associated with ethnic differences in cardiovascular disease in Scotland: methods from the Scottish Health and Ethnicity Linkage Study (SHELS). International Journal of Epidemiology 2013 Dec 19 DOI Link
- Bhopal RS, Humphry RW, Fischbacher CM. Changes in cardiovascular risk factors in relation to increasing ethnic inequalities in cardiovascular mortality: comparison of cross-sectional data in the Health Surveys for England 1999 and 2004. BMJ Open 2013;3(9). DOI Link
- Bansal N, Fischbacher CM, Bhopal RS, Brown H, Steiner MF, Capewell S, et al. Myocardial infarction incidence and survival by ethnic group: Scottish Health and Ethnicity Linkage retrospective cohort study. BMJ Open 2013 Sep 1;3(9). DOI Link
- Bhopal RS, Bansal N, Fischbacher CM, Brown H, Capewell S. Ethnic variations in heart failure: Scottish Health and Ethnicity Linkage Study (SHELS). Heart 2012 Jan 27. DOI Link
- Bhopal RS, Bansal N, Fischbacher CM, Brown H, Capewell S. Ethnic variations in the incidence and mortality of stroke in the Scottish Health and Ethnicity Linkage Study of 4.65 million people. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 2011. DOI Link Link
- Bhopal RS, Bansal N, Fischbacher C, Brown H, Capewell S. Ethnic variations in chest pain and angina in men and women: Scottish Ethnicity and Health Linkage Study of 4.65 million people. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 2011. DOI Link Link
- Bhopal R, Fischbacher C, Povey C, Chalmers J, Mueller G, Steiner M, et al. Cohort profile: Scottish Health and Ethnicity Linkage Study of 4.65 million people exploring ethnic variations in disease in Scotland. Int J Epidemiol 2011; 40 (5):1168-1175 DOI Link Link
- Bhala N, Fischbacher C, Bhopal R. Mortality for alcohol-related harm by Country of Birth in Scotland, 2000-2004: Potential Lessons for Prevention. Alcohol and Alcoholism 2010 DOI Link
- Pollard TM, Unwin N, Fischbacher C, Chamley JK. Total estradiol levels in migrant and British-born British Pakistani women: investigating early life influences on ovarian function. Am J Hum Biol. 2009 May-Jun;21(3):301-4.
- Fischbacher CM, Bhopal R, Steiner M, Morris AD, Chalmers J. Is there equity of service delivery and intermediate outcomes in South Asians with type 2 diabetes? Analysis of DARTS database and summary of UK publications. J Public Health 2009 31: 239-249.
- Anandan C, Gupta R, Simpson CR, Fischbacher C, Sheikh A. Epidemiology and disease burden from allergic disease in Scotland: analyses of national databases. J R Soc Med. 2009 Oct;102(10):431-42.
- Reynolds RM, Walker BR, Haw S, Newby DE, Mackay DF, Cobbe SM, Pell ACH, Fischbacher C, Pringle S, Murdoch D, Dunn F, Oldroyd K, MacIntyre P, O'Rourke B, Pell JP. Low serum cortisol predicts early death following acute myocardial infarction. Critical Care Medicine 2009; 38(3):973-5 DOI Link
- Pell JP, Haw S, Cobbe S, Newby DE, Pell ACH, Fischbacher C, Pringle S, Murdoch D, Dunn F, Oldroyd K, MacIntyre P, O'Rourke B, Borland W. Second-hand smoke exposure and survival following acute coronary syndrome: prospective cohort study of 1,261 consecutive admissions among never smokers. Heart. 2009 Sep;95(17):1415-8.
- Pell JP, Haw S, Cobbe SM, Newby DE, Pell ACH, Oldroyd KG, Murdoch DL, Pringle SD, Dunn FG, MacIntyre PD, Gilbert TJ, Fischbacher CM, Borland W. Validity of self-reported smoking status: comparison of patients admitted to hospital with acute coronary syndrome and the general population. Nicotine and Tobacco Research 2008:10(5):861-6.
- Pell J, Haw S, Cobbe S, Newby D, Pell A, Fischbacher C, McConnachie A, Pringle S, Murdoch D, Dunn F, Oldroyd K, MacIntyre P, O'Rourke B, Borland W. Smoke-free legislation and hospitalizations for acute coronary syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine 2008; 359(5):482-491.
- Goyder E, Wild S, Fischbacher C, Carlisle J, Peters J. Evaluating the impact of a national pilot screening programme for type 2 diabetes in deprived areas of England. Family Practice 2008;25(5):370-5.
- Pollard TM, Unwin N, Fischbacher C, Chamley JK. Differences in body composition and cardiovascular and type 2 diabetes risk factors between migrant and British-born British Pakistani women. Am J Hum Biol. 2008 Sep-Oct;20(5):545-9.
- McKnight JA, Cline D, Peden N, Fischbacher C, Wild SH. Implementing a National Quality Assurance System for Diabetes Care: The Scottish Diabetes Survey 2001 to 2006 Diabetic Medicine 2008;25(6) 743-6.
- Fischbacher CM, Bhopal R, Povey C, Steiner M, Chalmers J, Mueller G, Jamieson J, Knowles D. Record linked retrospective cohort study of 4.6 million people exploring ethnic variations in disease: myocardial infarction in South Asians. BMC Public Health 2007;7:142.
- Simpson CR, Anandan C, Fischbacher C, Lefevre K, Sheikh A. Will systematized nomenclature of medicine-clinical terms improve our understanding of the disease burden posed by allergic disorders? Clin Exp Allergy. 2007;37(11):1586-93.
- Fischbacher CM, Steiner M, Bhopal R, Chalmers J, Jamieson J, Knowles D, Povey C. Variations in all cause and cardiovascular mortality by country of birth in Scotland 1997-2003. Scottish Medical Journal 2007;52(4):5-9
- Wild SH, Fischbacher CM, Brock A, Griffiths C, Bhopal R. Mortality from all causes and circulatory disease by country of birth in England and Wales 2001-2003. Journal of Public Health 2007 ;29(2):191-8.
- Reynolds RM, Fischbacher C, Bhopal R, Byrne CD, White M, Unwin N et al. Differences in cortisol concentrations in South Asian and European men living in the United Kingdom. Clin.Endocrinol.(Oxf) 2006;64:530-4
- Pollard TM, Unwin NC, Fischbacher CM, Chamley JK. Sex hormone-binding globulin and androgen levels in immigrant and British-born premenopausal British Pakistani women. American Journal of Human Biology 2006;18:741-747
- Brindle P, May M, Gill P, Cappuccio F, D'Agostino R, Fischbacher C, Ebrahim S. Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: A Web-Based Risk Score For Seven British Black And Minority Ethnic Groups. Heart 2006;92: 1595-1602.
- Anandan C, Simpson CR, Fischbacher C, Sheikh A. Exploiting the potential of routine data to better understand the disease burden posed by allergic disorders. Clinical & Experimental Allergy 2006;36 (7): 866-871
- Haw SJ, Gruer L, Amos A, Currie C, Fischbacher C, Fong GT, Hastings G, Malam S, Pell J, Scott C, Semple S (2006) Legislation on smoking in enclosed public places in Scotland: how will we evaluate the impact? Journal of Public Health, 28, 24-30.
- Wild SH, Fischbacher CM, Brock A, Griffiths C, Bhopal R. Mortality from all cancers and lung, colorectal, breast and prostate cancer by country of birth in England and Wales, 2001-2003. British Journal of Cancer 2006; 94: 1079-1085.
- Bhopal R, Fischbacher C, Vartiainen E, Unwin N, White M, Alberti G. Predicted and observed cardiovascular disease in South Asians: application of FINRISK, Framingham and SCORE models to Newcastle Heart Project data. Journal of Public Health 2005;27: 93-100
- Fischbacher C, Bhopal R, Ruttert MK, Unwin N, Marshall SM, White M et al. Microalbuminuria is more frequent in South Asian than in European origin populations: a comparative study in Newcastle, UK. Diabetic Medicine 2003;31-36
- Hayes L, White M, Unwin, Bhopal R, Fischbacher C, Harland J.A, Albertiu KG et al. Patterns of physical activity and relationship with risk markers for cardiovascular disease and diabetes in Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and European adults in a UK population. Journal of Public Health Medicine 2002; 24:170-178.
- Fischbacher, C.M.; Bhopal ,R.; Unwin, N.; White, M.; Alberti, K.G. The performance of the Rose angina questionnaire in South Asian and European origin populations: a comparative study in Newcastle Int J Epidemiol 2001;54:786