Funding and Studentships
Studentships are from time to time made available for full-time PhD study, these being awarded by competition. Some studentships are offered annually, others less often. Current/recent examples are:
- College MVM
All funded studentships opportunities are advertised on this website, FindaPhd.com or the Guardian Education Supplement. Centre (CPHS) studentships are normally advertised in January of each year.
Studentships are usually advertised in relation to pre-specified projects. However, there will often remain some flexibility with regard to the finer detail of the PhD research project to be undertaken, as long as it remains within the general specified area.
Sorry, we have no studentships currently on offer within CPHS
Note: Such scholarships typically pay only 'home' fees so, provided the specific rules of the scholarship allow awards to non-UK students, a 'foreign fee status' student applying for a studentship would need to be able to find the difference in fees between the scholarship award and the fees to be charged.
For more information please see the Scholarships and Student Finance Office.
We regret that there is very rarely scholarship funding available for:
- Study towards MSc by Research
- Full time PhD students set on a very specific research idea of their own. [However, in this latter case, if the project fits very well with the research interests of a member of CPHS, then it is worth getting in touch with us to discuss your idea, in case other possibilities for funding can be identified.]
Studentships previously offered
- +3 ESRC Quota PhD Studentship 2008
- UK Tobacco Control PhD Studentships 2009
- PhD Scholarship Competition 2009
- PhD Scholarship Competition 2010
- +3 ESRC Quota PhD Studentship 2010/1
- PhD Scholarship Competition 2011
- CMVM PhD Scholarships Competition 2012
- ESRC Studentships
- CMVM PhD Scholarships Competition 2013
- ESRC Studentships