History of the Division of Community Health Sciences
In 1998 the University underwent restructuring, replacing Faculties with Colleges and Schools within Colleges. In the process Divisions were created as the main administrative layer within the University.
The Division of Community Health Sciences (CHS) was created as a coalition of the former Departments of Public Health Sciences (origins 1902) and General Practice (origin as a department 1956), and the CSO-funded Research Unit for Health, Behaviour and Change (founded 1983).
Initially the Division of CHS would have fulfilled the full spectrum of the University academic activities. However, in 2002 a (virtual) research centre was launched, comprising all senior researchers within CHS - the Centre for Primary Care and Public Health Research. From then on the primary role of the CHS division was to fulfil the remaining University requirements and duties, in particular administration and teaching.
In 2010 the Division of CHS ceased to exist as an adminstrative entity, and all its functions were merged into its Centre (CPHS).
Heads of CHS
|1999 - 2002||Professor Raj Bhopal|
|2002 - 2006||Professor David Weller|
|2006 - 2009||Professor Steve Platt|
|2009 - 2010||Professor Sarah Cunningham-Burley|